Thursday, February 5, 2009

ladies and gentlemen, the "gawdawful" has begun

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a gambling streak in me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to lose rent and food money while betting it all on a a roulette table. I like little bets, fun bets, something to add a little excitement to an otherwise boring day. Thankfully, there are people in my office who have the same desire for excitement as I do, especially my friend, David. We bet on golf putts, television reality shows (I've got three of the four remaining girls on "The Bachelor", and I don't even watch), which person is going to embarrass themselves at the company function, etc., etc., and usually for a few bucks. A few of the other people in the office join in on occasion, and no one has lost anything more than a few dollars and the shame of losing to an obnoxious winner.

Anyway, I'm at the pharmacy tonight, waiting for a prescription of steroids for my cough (it's a Herculean cough, therefore, need the Barry Bonds). I'm standing there, and I see medical scrubs for $8.99. My mom is a nurse, and when I was a kid I'd swipe some of her scrub shirts to sleep in, as they are surprisingly comfortable. So I'm looking at them, and I come across one of the ugliest shirts I have ever seen in my life. Let's just say that it is a medical scrub shirt with playful cartoon puppies on it. And, to top it off, they have it in the size of XXL.

Immediately, I decide to call David. "I've got this incredibly ugly shirt here - we need to work it into a bet." He agreed, naturally, but he didn't go for the bet where one of us would have to wear it to work (you see, he's a man of "high standing" at our company, reminding me that I am a menial lackey). Therefore, we decided that someone will be wearing this shirt at our next golf tournament that we hold annually for a good cause, the Cesar Morales Needs Help Growing A Mustache Foundation for the Criminally Hairless. 

I'm not going to put the shirt up here...yet. I'll save it for when the "winner" gets the honor of wearing it. I wore pajamas last year on the course, so this shirt isn't going to bother me too much, but it really is an ugly, ugly shirt. I haven't figured a bet out, but what I'm thinking is a random raffle, and the person that gets the winning number wins a small amount of money, but in return has to wear the shirt (and if they don't, they have to pay double back. I call this "The Gawdawful". I welcome your comments if you have a way to improve this bet.

No comments: