Thursday, June 2, 2011

Five of My Favorite Movie Scenes

So, every once in a while I'm going to revisit some of my favorite movie scenes. Today's category, Great Sleazy Guys:

1. Blood Simple, "Marty Hires Visser": I know, I've put this scene up before on a previous blog, but M. Emmet Walsh's character is one of the great all-time villains. You're not a Coen Brothers fan if you haven't seen this movie.

2. The Professional, "Everyone!": Yes, Jean Reno is a bad-ass in this movie. Yes, Natalie Portman makes you (almost) understand the unresolved sexual tension between her and Reno, even though she's a preteen. But Gary Oldman...he's a glorified mess, and I mean that in the best way possible.

3. There Will Be Blood, "I Drink Your Milkshake!": Sometimes actors give great performances, and sometimes actors become the character. Daniel Day Lewis became Daniel Plainview, and, let's face it, Daniel Plainview was a major league asshole.

4. Blue Velvet, "Joy Ride With Frank": There were several scenes I could've chosen to highlight Dennis Hopper's Frank Booth, but I chose this one because we both have an affinity for Pabst Blue Ribbon. That being said, he might be the one character of this bunch I'd least like to have a drink with, for sure.

5. Election, "McCallister Must Stop Tracy Now": Okay, not every sleazy guy has to be a murderer. Sometimes they can just be a put-upon high school teacher who can't stand seeing the school suck-up win an election. Matthew Broderick plays the role of the teacher in such an uncomfortable way, you almost feel bad for Reese Witherspoon's Tracy Flick. Almost.

No comments: